Nearly fifty years of conflict and unsolved secular imbalances in Columbia are demanding great creativity and commitment from all categories of Columbian society to craft effective and sustainable paths for solution. The congress shall look for such solutions that cannot be delayed, which, given the inescapable process of globalization that bounds every country now, must be led in a national and international simultaneity.
ASOCACI is aware of the questions that exist about the role of military institutions in today’s world and in the century that begins. For this reason, it has accepted the challenge to organize this international congress, in association with the Foundation for the Progress of Mankind, as a contributing space to the creation of the critical mass needed to forge a military thinking that will be more effective in its intention to attain fair and long lasting peace.
Within this context it has been intended that the celebration of the first centenary of the Superior Military School of Colombia becomes the opportunity and the setting to reflect on and to debate, at the highest academic level and from different cultural viewpoints, the new ideas on how to characterize risks and their implications in security, new strategies and techniques for a more effective defense.
Also, the organizers aim at creating the opportunity to improve with ideas the educational reforms needed in the military and police institutions to adapt them to environments in continuous transformation.
During preparative sessions at FESCOL in Bogotà the OBJECTIVES of the congress have been defined as follows :
1. To provide ground to discuss, from different perspectives, the new conceptions on risks, security and defense, as well as the rising possibilities and the roles that the military institutions must fulfill in such scenarios.
2. To contribute to designing new military strategies in order to increase their levels of legitimacy and effectiveness.
3. To assess the sustainability and the new approaches on ethics and social responsibility of the military and police institutions.
4. To analyze the importance of communication as opinion makers, especially in societies in the midst of armed conflict.
5. To promote a constructive academic debate and the knowledge of new theories in the Superior Military School of Colombia, at the same time strengthening ASOCACI´s capacity to achieve its statutory objectives.
The Congress will be developed by means of three thematic axes that aim to satisfy the planned objectives and to provide for the work areas through which ASOCACI expects to fulfill its objective.
Such thematic axes are:
#THE ARMED FORCES AT THE SERVICE OF A PROJECT OF SOCIETY: From protection to anticipation.
#JUSTICE, ARMED FORCES AND COMMUNICATION: Towards a sustainable future.
#ETHICAL CHALLENGES OF ARMED CONFRONTATION IN CONTEMPORARY SOCIETIES: the great challenge of the new millennium.
These thematic axes have been studied during the past twelve months by qualified lecturers of the country, in association with representatives from the political, economic and social domains. The memories of these meetings will be compiled and published, so that beginning the congress, the participants can have knowledge on the array of national thinking in such areas.
During the congress, foreign and national keyspeakers will lecture on the subjects developed in each thematic axis and workshops will be held to discuss in depth on relevant conclusions.
For more details see the programme and the basic documents